The Mobilization That Wasn't


I'm in the United States for six weeks, visiting friends and taking care of some business, and getting caught up on life in the US from right here on the ground. I'm near the end of week five at the moment, and I can tell you it's been an eye-opening experience. I'll share some of my observations in the next few days, but here's one thing for right now:

For those who don't believe that the mainstream media in America are culpable in Mr Bush's nasty little war, here's a message: Believe it!

If Americans were shown the same feed of CNN that we see in Europe (from Sky via Great Britain), things in this country would be a whole lot different today! And that's just CNN. If it were the BBC, we would be having a revolution. Speaking of which . . .

Did you know that there were demonstrations against the war on Iraq all over the United States today? You sure wouldn't if you depended on the news networks for information, although CNN did tell us (as late as 4 p.m. CDT) that United for Peace and Justice
was organizing demonstrations for today. No coverage whatsoever of the tens and hundreds of thousands of Americans who were in the streets with chants and placards telling the current occupant and their congresscritters that they wanted the illegal occupation of Iraq to stop -- Now!

Incredible! But you're probably used to it.

Anyway, that was a digression from what I meant to write today. I mostly just wanted to say "hello" and welcome you to this blog. I've found a lot to be depressed about on this visit, but I've also seen a lot of things that make me think that things are looking up. I'll write more about both over the coming weeks. I return home to Spain on the 5th of November, and from there I'll continue to comment on events in America as seen from a distance.

Your comments or questions appreciated and welcome.

1 comments :: The Mobilization That Wasn't

  1. Fascinating stuff... I will come back to see what you say later...

    & I'll give you a shout on my blog 2nite...

    gledwood2.blogspot.com

Post a Comment